Psoriasis is a chronic disease of the skin that has itchy, thick, red, scaly patches on the skin that have a silvery cast to them. It is an inflammation. It is most common in people between 15 and 30 years of age. There are several types of this ailment, including plaque p., which is the most common. It has patches of raised, reddish skin covered in silvery-white scales. It can appear anywhere on the body. Guttate p. appears as small red spots on the skin. Pustular p. appears as white pustules surrounded by red skin. Inverse p. has smooth red lesions that form in skin folds. Finally, erythrodermic p. is itchy and painful, while causing the skin to turn red. This disease is not contagious, but it can be very difficult to remedy.
Symptoms may include skin patches that are dry or red, covered with silvery scales, are raised, may be surrounded by red borders or may crack and become painful. Skin lesions may include pustules, cracks, inflammation and redness. Itching may be intense. Joint pain or aches may be a symptom. Some people also get nail abnormalities, genital lesions in men, burning, itching eyes, and increased tearing.
Psoriasis may be heredity and it is not uncommon to find several members of the family affected. Stress is believed to role, as may alcohol, seasonal changes, injury to the skin, infection or an abnormality in the metabolism of amino acids and proteins.
In severe cases, the skin may crack and bleed. When psoriasis is on the face or other visible area of the body, it can also cause embarrassment and shyness, keeping people from participating in activities they would normally like to do.
- Oregon grape – use the extract to gently cleanse the body of toxins that may contribute to psoriasis.
- Milk thistle – this herb helps cleanse the body and it is very helpful with psoriasis. If paired with flax seed oil, it is more effective.
- Evening Primrose Oil - promotes healthy skin - take capsules 3 times a day.
- Gotu Kola - can be taken internally or externally to aid skin healing and treat psoriasis.
- Licorice - take 2 -3 cups a day to treat inflammation of the skin. Add 1 - 2 teaspoons of root powder to 1 cup boiling water, strain after 10 minutes and drink.
- Fish Oil - take capsules of fish oil to aid skin healing.
- Lavender - lavender and passionflower tea help with relieving stress and anxiety.
- Golden Seal - tablets or capsules as directed can help treat skin infections.
- Calendula – helps with the itch and inflammation. Apply as a compress or add 2 drops of calendula oil and 1 drop of oregano oil in a small cup of olive oil. Apply this mixture to the affected region.
- Pine – cut up 100 grams of pine needles and put them in 1 liter of boiling water. Boil the needles for 10 minutes on low heat. Let them steep for half an hour and add them to your bath water every day for 2 months.
- Aloe vera – apply the gel to affected areas to relieve pain and itching.
- Neem – apply a cream with neem in it to affected areas to help heal the skin.
- Comfrey – apply a salve or ointment made with this herb to help heal skin problems like psoriasis.
- Oats – take a lukewarm bath with finely ground oatmeal added to it to address itchy symptoms.
- Yarrow – rub the fresh juice from the plant onto affected areas. You can also add a few drops of yarrow essential oil to a bath to relieve some of the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Chickweed - apply cream or gel direct to affected area.